After waiting for our flight that was delayed we were finally off.
Leilani picked us up at about 8:15pm and we headed off. Even though it was late the first thing we did was shop. We knew what stores stayed open past 9:00. After that we of course had to get a late night snack and stopped to talk and eat at Chili's. We then headed to Leilani's and stayed up past midnight getting ready for the next day's activity-snow boarding and skiing.
Thursday morning we awoke early with excitement. We ate and headed out. It was a beautiful day the weather was perfect. We arrived at Snow Basin bought our passes and head to the bunny hill. Leilani, Kanani, and Kuliana were pros but Lehua and I weren't. They were all on snow boards and I was on ski blades. I had never been snow skiing in my life. I decided to wait until I was in my 30's to try it out. Big mistakes. I managed the bunny slope ok but was still very inexperienced and didn't know what I was doing. Because Lehua was trying snow boarding for the first time they decided it was not steep enough to teach her what they wanted to. They decided to head up the mountain. They figured that since I made it down the bunny hill that I was good. They didn't realize that I just went straight down and then crashed to stop since I didn't know what I was doing. I said No Way, I was staying at the bunny hill so I could figure it out. But...they talked me into going up. I was told that we would take the easy hills down and everything would be fine. We headed up the mountain in the gondolas. Upon reaching the top I was extremely nervous but was going to do it. We took some pictures and got our gear back on.
(Pictured: Me, Lehua, Kanani, Kuliana, Leilani, Me)
They all took off and Leilani stayed to help me get my stuff on. We then headed to the hill. We went down the first small slope. Then the next one came and she headed off like a pro. I on the other hand just stood there for awhile. I started to go just a little but sat down to stop and just stayed sitting. I was looking at this slope and thinking there is no way possible for me to do this. I had no idea what I was doing! After several minutes of sitting I called Leilani to say there was no way I was going down it, that I was going back up to the gondolas to go back to the bunny hills. Once again she talked me into it. She promised once I got down that hill that it became more flat. Mistake number 2!! I started going basically on my bum. I wanted to get past this slope. I started going too fast for my comfort and tried to stop by going all the way down to my bum. Huge, mistake! I wiped out. Leilani happened to be watching and said I tumbled 3 times. In the middle of this my knee popped and I was instantly taken over by the most extreme pain I had ever felt. I was ready to die and throw up. I laid there and yelled to Leilani that my knee was hurt and to help. Other skiers at this point started to stop and ask if I needed help. Yes, I needed help I thought I was going to die. They called ski patrol and I waited. Now I was freezing and in pain. Ski patrol finally arrived. He braced my entire leg and loaded me into the toboggan. Now remember I was at the very top of the mountain and I knew how far down we had to go. I was so freaked out! Luckily they lay you down, bundle you up, strap you down, and then a tarp comes up by your face so you can't see anything. At first I thought, "Oh no don't make me feel like I'm in an MRI again." I breathed slowly and was ok. We took off and I closed my eyes tight. Even when they were opened all you could see is the sky and the top of the trees but I had to imagine that I was being pulled on the flat ground. I was surprised to find out that it was no big deal. It was bumpy but I never felt like I was falling. We arrived at the bottom and they wheel chaired me to the little medic room. They took my statement and info then sent my on my way with a cardboard splint.





(Don't let the smiles deceive you, I was in complete PAIN! I was only smiling because Leilani kept taking pictures and I felt like a total retard!)
(Don't let the smiles deceive you, I was in complete PAIN! I was only smiling because Leilani kept taking pictures and I felt like a total retard!)
We debated on whether I should could to the ER but decided to wait a day to see. Leilani took me back to her house to lay on the couch and be miserable. This is how I spent the rest of the day. My fun weekend was GONE! That night we did go to Wal-Mart and with the help of crutches to get in the store and the use of the riding shopping cart I got myself a brace to wear.
We then returned home because they were all exhausted and sore due to their great day. We watched a movie then headed to bed.
Friday morning we were suppose to go Mountain Biking. Obviously I couldn't. My Dad also flew in the night before and he decided that I really needed to go to the doctors. Leilani, my dad, and myself headed to insta care and the others decided that they would rather go shopping. We sat and waited. Eric called one of our friends from Yuma who is a Physicians Assistant to see if anything could even be done. He said to wait a week and then possibly go in then depending on what symtons I had. So, after an hour of waiting we left.
We then headed to the movies and watched 17 again. Dad and Bam (Leilani's husband) headed to a separate movie, I don't know why. :0) We all thought it was cute and a couple of my sisters said they have crushes on Zac Efron. Who wouldn't? After that Leilani needed to run her children here, there, and everywhere. I stayed with her in the car since it required no walking and the other 3 went back out shopping. We did stop at a couple of stores and I used a crutch to help me limp along very slowly. After spending about 4 hours in the car it was time to head back to Leilani's for them to get ready for dodge ball.
We then returned home because they were all exhausted and sore due to their great day. We watched a movie then headed to bed.
Friday morning we were suppose to go Mountain Biking. Obviously I couldn't. My Dad also flew in the night before and he decided that I really needed to go to the doctors. Leilani, my dad, and myself headed to insta care and the others decided that they would rather go shopping. We sat and waited. Eric called one of our friends from Yuma who is a Physicians Assistant to see if anything could even be done. He said to wait a week and then possibly go in then depending on what symtons I had. So, after an hour of waiting we left.
We then headed to the movies and watched 17 again. Dad and Bam (Leilani's husband) headed to a separate movie, I don't know why. :0) We all thought it was cute and a couple of my sisters said they have crushes on Zac Efron. Who wouldn't? After that Leilani needed to run her children here, there, and everywhere. I stayed with her in the car since it required no walking and the other 3 went back out shopping. We did stop at a couple of stores and I used a crutch to help me limp along very slowly. After spending about 4 hours in the car it was time to head back to Leilani's for them to get ready for dodge ball.
I've played this before when visiting last summer and loved it. I was so looking forward to it but instead I got to sit and cheer them on from the bleachers. After that all us girls, Dad, Bam and Kealani (Leilani's daughter) headed to Texas Roadhouse and stuffed ourselves till we were sick. To exhausted from another long day we all just went to bed when we got home.
Saturday morning we woke up, got ready for the day, packed our stuff and headed off to shop and to the airport. We did a little shopping (I did a little with the help of a shopping cart). We then took Kuliana to the airport then went back out shopping again until our flight. We returned to Phoenix and Kanani and Lehua still weren't done shopping. We hit a couple of more stores, we'll they did and then we headed home.
Even though my weekend wasn't what I had in mind it was great to be able to hang out with my sisters and Dad! Thank you girls for helping me all weekend! Next time, we're doing something that I can't get injured at!!

Saturday morning we woke up, got ready for the day, packed our stuff and headed off to shop and to the airport. We did a little shopping (I did a little with the help of a shopping cart). We then took Kuliana to the airport then went back out shopping again until our flight. We returned to Phoenix and Kanani and Lehua still weren't done shopping. We hit a couple of more stores, we'll they did and then we headed home.
Even though my weekend wasn't what I had in mind it was great to be able to hang out with my sisters and Dad! Thank you girls for helping me all weekend! Next time, we're doing something that I can't get injured at!!
7 comments:
WOW Malia! I'm so sorry to see you got hurt snow sking! I hope it is nothing serious! Despite the pain of your knee, it looks like you had a fun weekend!
What great sisters you have! You make me homesick for my sisters!
I'm glad you were able to get away! It all looks like great fun, except the crash! I love your canning! Good job!
I guess if you can survive the motorcycle trips, you can survive anything-right?! =)
Good luck to a speedy recovery!
I know what it is like to be the party pooper for the weekend.Dunes,collar bone, yeah, great times.
What an adventure! Poor Malia! Hows it feeling now- any better?
You and your sisters are so cute together. Glad you had a good weekend together despite the injury!
MALIA! WOW! So have you been yet to see if there's anything that can be done? Does it still hurt? I think you are right...YOU DO GET TO PICK THE NEXT ACTIVITY FOR SISTERS WEEKEND! What fun though, to spend all that time with sisters and no kids! Lucky you!
I have had so much fun catching up with you guys! I am sorry to hear about your knee - I hope it is on the mend! Looks like you guys are doing great & having lots of fun! How awesome for your kids to live near their cousins now!
hey I was reading your comments and saw my name...I was thinking what the heck? I don't remember writing that! haha! Chad must have left the comment! That's what happens when your husband lives in antoher state....you don't know what he is uo to! haha! I'm sorry you got hurt! I always remember seeing people being taken down the hill by the ski patrol, you poor thing! When I started snowboarding i was sure i was going to be one those being rushed down the hill!instead I just came home with LOTS of bruises! I am glad that you got to get away with your sisters, It sounds like you all had a good time!
Malia! When I cruised through here before, I thought, "How fun, a girl's trip!" I didn't read, and so I didn't know you got hurt. Sorry! Your descriptive story got to me. I knew there was a reason I object to mountain slopes covered with snow!
I'm glad you got to have time with your sisters though. There is nothing like it :)
Post a Comment