Monday, November 9, 2009

Knee Injury Part 2

On Oct 21 at 6:30am I checked into the Hospital to have my ACL fixed. ACL stands for Anterior Cruciate Ligament, it's in the knee. This was the result of my Skiing trip back in April when I was attempting to learn how to ski and biffed it hard went tumbling a couple of times and while tumbling tore my ACL. Because of my desire to continue being very active especially with playing sports such as volleyball and basketball I decided to have it fixed.

They promptly started to get me prepped for my 7:30am surgery. Before they would even consider doing the surgery they had to make sure that I wasn't pregnant. I told them there was no way but they still made me take the test. Much to my delight they said there was no number 6 on the way. There should there never be a number 6!

My surgery consisted of me having a spinal block and also a shot in my leg that would send electrical currents to my nerve endings and numb certain parts of my leg, mainly my knee. This would last anywhere from 12-18hrs. I would have 3 very small incisions and one larger 2 inch incision. To start me out they put something in my IV to make me relax and sort of go to sleep but not really go to sleep (so they told me). This was done to give me the spinal block. The anesthesiologist said I would be awake once we were in the surgery room. My Dr. had said earlier at my Pre-Op Appt. that if I wanted to I could watch the whole procedure on TV. The surgery is done Arthroscopic so I would be able to see what the camera was seeing. I told him no way but he said it was my choice, I could start to watch it then if I wanted I could take a nice nap until the recovery room. Well the only thing I remember from this point on is when they strapped my arms down and asked if I was ok. From talking to some of the nurses and the Dr. I was awake for more than I thought. I was answering questions and talking normal but I remember nothing. I asked if I said anything weird or strange but they said I was good. I am still just amazed that I didn't remember a thing. My Dr. said it's because I have "spring water blood".

My sad swollen knee.


I was also told in my Pre-Op that I would probably be able to go home around 11:00-11:30am depending on how I responded to the anesthesia. Needless to say...I was the first surgery of the day and was second to last to leave. I didn't get to leave until 2:30 or 3:00. I then fought nausea all the way home. Once I got home I started to feel a little better. My knee wasn't horrible because the shot they gave me was still in effect. What hurt was my hamstring. They took a tendon from it to create my new ACL and that area was not covered by the shot.

By night I was feeling worse instead of better. I began to feel lightheaded, dizzy, and nauseous all over again. This was how I felt all day Thursday and Friday morning. I would only get out of bed to use the bathroom and then would be so motion sick by the time I got back I would throw up. Lights hurt my head, moving hurt my head, the TV made me sick. I was miserable not because of my knee but because of the rest of this junk I was dealing with. Finally Friday morning I called the Dr. office to have my pain killers changed. They went ahead and changed them but also said it sounded like a Spinal Headache. To be honest I'll never know which one was causing all this because at this point I asked for a blessing. Eric and my Dad gave me one, I fell asleep for a couple of hours and then felt tons better when I woke up.

From this point on things began to look up. My knee hurt and ached all the time but it was bare able (most of the time). Five days after surgery I began Physical Therapy. I had no movement in my knee, I couldn't straighten or bend it. Simple exercises I had to do like bending my knee was exhausting and painful. I was however determined to press on. From the moment I left the hospital I was bound to either crutches or a brace. I had to use one or the other anytime I was standing. The brace drove me crazy and I believe caused more pain. I had to get my quad to set before I could get rid of them. The surgery causes your quad to go to mush and that's what helps you walk and stand up without falling down.





The following Monday, 12 days after surgery I was able to get rid of the crutches and brace. What a happy person I was!! I go to Physical Therapy twice a week and also have exercises I have to do at home twice a day. I'm still working on being able to bend my leg and get it straight. I still walk with a limp, which my family loves to make fun of. It aches and I feel it every single moment I'm awake including the middle of the night. I am however slowly progressing. I have strict orders to only walk for the next 3 months. I can once I have more movement swim and ride a bike but no jogging or anything else. I might just go crazy and get fat all at the same time!! Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Years, I am so in trouble!!!!!!!!




These are pictures my Dr. took during surgery. The top left picture is of my injured ACL. The pictues show where he cleared it out and then the last one is of my new ACL. Modern medicine and technology is just AMAZING!!

6 comments:

Kimmy said...

Oh my word! OUCH! poor Malia! I hope you feel better soon!
I think you should have Eric drive you down here for Sabras New Moon party next week to help you recover faster.(I have no idea how that ties in to recovering faster, but it would be so fun to see you, limp and all-)

Kristen said...

Hey-thanks for the surgery pictures! NOT!!!!! Now that made me queezy! I hate to break it to you malia, but the nurses and Doctor are just being nice to you! You probably did ramble on about senseless stuff! hahah LOL Like when you give birth and they lie and say "No, you didn't go #2. Everything is fine!" hahahaha

I'm glad you're feeling a little more mobile! Hopefully, after all that, you will never have to revisit the ski trip memory again! :) Love ya!

Brenda said...

Hi Malia!

Happy to see you have your surgery behind you! Best of luck in your recovery! Take it easy! Happy Thanksgiving to your family! I'm sorry to hear your Christmas Tree is in storage. I'm sure you will have a beautiful tree in its place.
When you get it out of storage, it will be a big celebration for you!

Katrina said...

You poor thing! I'm so glad the surgery is behind you now & that you are recovering well. Hope you guys have a great Thanksgiving!!!

Sabra said...

Okay, this is exactly why I don't do anything active. No way!!! No thank you! Hang in there, lady.

If you get fat come see me. That's something I have to see!

Also, I thought the pictures your doc took of the surgery were boobs at first. Just saying.

Tina said...

Oh Malia! This sounds so painful.

I am so late on this, that you must be doing better by now...but wow. It's terrible just to read this!

I hope your December is looking up :)